Huwebes, Oktubre 8, 2009

The Way I Look At Him

November 3, 2009 will go down as one of the most memorable yet, sad date for us here in Asian Gaming Academy. Our STDO, Arnold Cesar Romero will say goodbye as he venture to a whole new world.

The man we fondly called “Notty” or “Naughty” to some extent, is severing his tie with Pagcor, whom he wholeheartedly served for 7 long years. I will just pay a little tribute to the person I called friend, boss, teacher, adviser, motivator and even an idol.



The latter part of 2007 produces anxiety for me and the rest of my colleagues in Surveillance Department. Rumors are spreading about the impending disbandment of our position as Surveillance Monitoring Staff (SUMS). Everyday was like a guessing game for us. Office order arrived almost every hour sending one after the other to one department to another. I got mine also. An interview with a never- heard department in branches, the Asian Gaming Academy, awaits me. Little did I know that this never- heard would become my saving grace!

I came face to face with this young fellow I can describe as quite intelligent but, permit me to borrow the word, just an average joe. He is Arnold Cesar Romero, the departments’ Senior Training & Development Officer. Conversation runs smoothly, probably because I’m articulate enough to answer his questions, he,he. I asked him the work he plans to give me and he said “Reliever ka lang, meron talagang naka-assign dun”. What I didn’t know is that the person he’s talking about is already dead and I’m not a reliever but a replacement.

Luckily or unluckily, depending on what angle I want to see it, I was accepted for the job. I had mixed emotions the moment I step inside the AGA office. Happy because my feeling of uncertainty is over and sad because according to Mam Beth, our Assistant Managing Head, I was accepted because I was the only one who wants the job. Anyway, I enjoy my stint here in my new house. Probably one of the biggest factor is my relationship with my co-employees especially with Sir Notty. He made me feel welcome and was quickly accepted in the tribe. He made me feel comfortable in a job totally stranger to me. Several months after, he included me in his application for Sun Group Plan which is a big help for me because prior to this, all my application in post-paid plan were denied.

My first night out with Sir Notty was also memorable. We bar hop and little did I know that I was already drank in just 5 bottles of San Mig Light. I can’t remember how I reach our house. But what made it more unforgettable is that it cost me 4 days to overcome my hangover.

He was also my first boss, as I was under him for several months. There I saw how strict he was in terms of work but always willing to lend his helping hand. Money is also not an issue for him, and probably, will never be. Whenever he asked me to go out with him, I don’t have any qualms because I knew my stomach will never complain.

As the days, months had passed, I started to realize that I’m wrong. He’s not your average joe, rather he’s a special person who’s full of wisdom in mind. I can’t remember a single instance that he failed to answer my question which in most occasion satisfies me.

He’s also a good copy for those who seek insights about a particular matter. His smartness is good to emulate. I’m honest to say that I will never be a writer as good as he is.

There are probably more praises and accolades we can hear from the people he work from day 1 here in Pagcor. I’m just fortunate that I was given a chance to work with him for 2 years.

He was my boss, where instructions must be followed. He was my teacher, particularly during my second wind as a student in BPA. He was my adviser, not just on work but also as a human being. He was my idol, because you can only imitate him but can’t totally replace. He was my motivator, especially in this kind of endeavour which I truly appreciate. And of course, he was my friend, though I have shortcomings, he still extends his outmost kindness to me.

That’s the way I look at him. That’s the way I salute Mr. Arnold Cesar Romero!

1 komento:

  1. wow, im sure he'd be feel ecstatic over what you've written. i guess that is how life should be: touch, move and inspire people then move on to the next adventure. it is a never-ending quest to fulfill our purpose in life. we should not stagnate, we should be bigger than what the circumstance present to us. i salute you too for your views. not too many people are capable of admiring their own, esp in this world of negativity and crab mentality. mabuhay ka!

    TumugonBurahin